Ongoing diversity seminar series and events across the UC San Diego campus
- Diversity and Science Lecture (DASL) Series
- CSE Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Events and Seminar Series
- Grad oSTEM @ UCSD: Seminars 3rd Thursday of the month, 10am
Enhancing the Black Student Experience Symposium
April 16th–23rd, 2021
This week-long symposium is designed to increase awareness of the Black Student Experience at UC San Diego with the goal of fostering intentional and sustained action to enhance the experience and promote pro-Blackness at UC San Diego. The Black Student Union, Black Graduate and Professional Student Association, Student Affairs, and Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are partners in producing this event.
The symposium will cover three areas of the Black Student Experience:
- Pre-Matriculation (traditional, transfer, and graduate)
- Current Student (undergraduate and graduate)
- Campus Safety and Well-Being
- Retention & Campus Climate
- Graduation and Beyond
- Graduate school and professional programs
The Committee will also host a the following sessions:
- Pre-workshop: Friday April 16, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Keynote Event: Monday, April 19, 9:00 - 10:30 am (few confirmations in process)
- Theme Sessions: Monday - Friday, April 19 - 23, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm (daily details coming in April)
- Debrief Sessions: Monday - Friday, April 19 - 23, 4:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Picture a Scientist Virtual Screening with Q&A
Wednesday, April 14th, 2021 at 5:00 PM
Join UC San Diego Health Sciences Office of Faculty Affairs for a virtual film screening of the critically acclaimed documentary Picture A Scientist followed by Q&A with a panel of special guests, including featured scientist Dr. Jane Willenbring. This event is free and open to all.
Registration for this event is required. Visit the registration page for details.
How to Be an Antiracist (with author Dr. Ibram X. Kendi)
Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021 at 6:00 PM
Dr. Kendi is the National Book Award-winning author and his relentless and passionate research puts into question the notion of a post-racial society and opens readers' and audiences' eyes to the reality of racism in America today. Join us for a conversation with Dr. Kendi and an Q&A session. More details about the event, and how to register can be found here, on the Virtual Student Union website. This free event is open to all students, faculty, and staff in the UC system.
Women’s Herstory Month (March 2021)
Faculty, staff, and students are invited to participate in UC San Diego's Women’s Herstory Month Celebration throughout March. This important observance and celebration of diversity will feature a wide-range of programs focused on the many contributions of women in history, culture, and society. The 2021 theme is "Feminist Transformations."
We invite our community to reflect on the possibilities to create change that exist after an unprecedented year. From systemic racism and injustices, to the public health crises, to the gendered impacts of school and childcare closures, to everything beyond and in between, how do we use this moment to imagine a better future?
We hope that you will participate in UC San Diego’s commemoration of Women’s Herstory Month. One of the many programs taking place will be A Bold Policy Agenda for Work-Family Justice and Gender Equity During COVID-19 and Beyond. To register for this event and to learn more information about Women’s Herstory Month programs, please visit the Women’s Center web page.
Health Sciences Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Community Fair
Friday, February 19th, 2021 from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM
The goal of this virtual Fair is to bring our Health Sciences community together to share ideas, learn about activities that are occurring in departments/units, share feedback, and create a more robust network through which to support each other in creating a diverse, equitable, inclusive and anti-racist organization.
The Fair will feature:
- Welcome by Dr. David Brenner, Vice Chancellor of Health Sciences
- Keynote Address by Dr. Happy Araneta, Assistant Dean of Diversity & Community Partnerships for the School of Medicine
- Concurrent Breakout Sessions on Retention & Recruitment, Education & Training, and Capacity Building each with six 10 minute presentations by faculty, staff, or trainees on current efforts followed by 5 minutes of Q & A
Please RSVP HERE to receive Zoom information.
Black History Month (February 2021)
February marks the beginning of Black History Month, a federally recognized, nationwide celebration that provides the opportunity for all Americans to reflect on the significant roles that African Americans have played in the shaping of U.S. history. Annually, UC San Diego holds a month-long series in celebration of Black History Month