Fall 2021 orientation activities:
Fall 2020 orientation activities:
|Aug. 25-Sep. 25||Campus-wide new graduate student orientation
Multiple online sessions on different topics
|Sep. 8-18||Campus-wide new international graduate student orientation (online)
Two sessions are mandatory for all new foreign graduate students
|Sep. 21-25||BISB Boot Camp (online)
|Sep. 25-30||Campus-wide new IA Teaching Sympoisum (online)
For BISB, usually applies to 2nd-3rd year students, not incoming students
Fall 2019 orientation activities:
|Sep. 10||Campus-wide new graduate student orientation|
|Sep. 16-20||BISB boot camp (schedule) in SSPPS 1160|
|Sep. 19-20||Campus-wide new international graduate student orientation|
|Sep. 23||Bootcamp Challenge Ropes Course at UCSD Forest|
|Sep. 25||Campus-wide new teaching assistant orientations by ASE and The Commons (for BISB, usually applies to 2nd-3rd year students, not incoming students)|
|Sep. 25||BISB Exchange at Sanford Consortium, Roth Auditorium|
The week-long boot camp for incoming first-year students of the Bioinformatics and Systems Biology Graduate Program aims to:
- Introduce new students to the Program, its faculty and students, the courses, and research opportunities.
- Foster student community and collaboration among students of the first year class, and to students in upper classes.
- Convey the bar for the core curriculum and key classes, as well as the research excitement and work ethic characteristic of the program's best students.
- Provide incoming students with an opportunity to remedy deficiencies prior to taking the core classes.
In addition to boot camp, new graduate students should also attend the Bioinformatics & Systems Biology Exchange, and various campus-wide orientations:
- New Graduate Student Orientation (mandatory for all new graduate students)
- International Student Orientation (mandatory for all new international students). Follow the link for information on registering and what to bring.
- TA orientation and training (mandatory for all new TAs; usually 2nd-3rd year for BISB students):
- In September, there are campus-wide teaching assistant orientations by ASE and The Commons, usually announced by email rather than a website link. Sometimes these are repeated other quarters. These are for students doing their first TAship that school year; other programs have TAships in the first year, but BISB students typically do their first TAship their 2nd-3rd year.
- Throughout the school year, The Commons has many workshops and other programs available for graduate student TAs.